It seems as though one of the biggest challenges with trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle is the amount of prep work that is required in order to have breakfasts, lunches, and dinners ready to go for the week ahead. A large part of my evenings and weekends are spent soaking, dehydrating, blending, chopping, and then separating into individual portions so that we can just grab and go in the morning. Cutting back on the amount of daily prep work is always a goal of mine. It’s one that is not always reached but, hey, worth a try.
I think it is safe to say that most of us are looking for convenience, in our appearance, in our diet, in pretty much all of our daily habits. I often find myself picking up boxes of crackers or other snacks hoping to find something that will save me little bits of precious time. It’s only until I read the ingredient lists and find over and over again that I just cannot bring myself to buy something that I don’t feel one hundred percent comfortable feeding to my family. And so, although the effort and countless hours spent in the kitchen can become tedious and frustrating, especially when it involves sacrifice in other areas, knowing that you are doing the best you can for yourself and your family makes it all worth it.
That being said, it is always helpful when I am able to find something that all of us enjoy eating, so that extra time isn’t spent on both planning and preparing separate meals. Because the creator of this recipe has been such a huge part of my inspiration, as well as a great source for recipes that everyone seems to love, it is a privilege for me to pay homage to her by recreating a salad that she so beautifully featured in one of her own cookbooks.
When I stuck this one into my hubby’s lunchbox for the first time I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. When he brought his bowl home practically licked clean, I made sure to add this one to our regular rotation. The freshness and combination of flavors in this beautiful carrot salad, is enough to enliven anyone’s palette. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do.
Vibrant Carrot Salad
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 3/4 c cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c red onion, minced
- 5 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1/2 c cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c crumbled feta cheese (omit for vegan option)
- 2 T olive oil
- zest and juice of two limes
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 t fine sea salt
- 1/2 t ground pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- In small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, zest and juice of the limes, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- In another bowl, combine the carrots, chickpeas, red onion, scallions, cilantro, and raisins.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle pistachios on top along with the feta cheese immediately before serving. Serve as is, or cover and chill in the fridge.